Friday, April 8, 2011

Lesson Plan Overview


The purpose of this lesson is for students to understand that sound waves create vibrations, and that these vibrations can create enough force to produce movement. The lesson will begin by the showing of a video of an avalanche. The teacher will explain that avalanche’s can be caused by sound waves if the vibrations are forceful enough. This will get the students’ attention and get them ready for the lesson. The teacher will give the definition of a sound wave and give examples. Other resources may be used to ensure that each student understands. The teacher will then introduce the activity. With the help of the teacher, each student will create a sound gun. Afterwards, the students will get into groups and discuss why this activity works. There will then be a class discussion. In order to assess each students’ individual understanding, the teacher will give the instruction for the students to write a few sentences about the activity and why it worked. Based on these, further assistance to students will be given if needed.


Lesson Plan


Concept Map:


12 comments:

  1. Your video and blog are good. Are you going to go in depth when teaching or just use your activity to teach the lesson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything was set up nice and it was well organized material. Video was very good. My question is do you always put your overview at the end of your lesson plan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Laura! You have very detailed work! How are you going to relate an avalanche with making a sound gun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your activity. Do you think you could make the sound gun on a larger scale?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you introduced the topic with a video so the students can have a visual of the topic. Very fun activity! Could this activity be for younger and older groups?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! That activity looks like fun, and I think the students will love it. Could you make feathers move also?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat activity! How would assess your students?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Job!! What would you do with the students who used the rubberband to hurt people?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your activity was really neat. I think this is a great way to learn this concept. Do you think that students would benefit from a concept map with linking words between the concepts and maybe have a different organization of it also?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sound gun activity! Do you think making a gun at school will promote violence in your classroom? haha im jk. My real question is... Do you think you could use other materials in making the gun so it will produce a stonger force?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sound activity is very detailed!! I love your lesson plan as well. Very well thought out. Do you think there some higher order questions you could ask the students for this lesson and this sound activity in particular?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all you questions, guys!
    Kayla- I will probably go a little more in depth, but not too much so I don't overwhelm them.
    Elizabeth- I actually thought it was at the beginning!! haha
    Heather- Sometimes avalanches start by sound waves, so that's an example i will use.
    Jordy- I really don't know but that's something I will have to look in to.
    Lorraine- I could adjust this activity for different age groups.
    Stephanie- I didn't even think about that, but I bet it would work! I will have to try that out... thanks!!
    Megan- I would probably have them do a short quiz to see if they understood the reasons behind why the activity worked.
    Jessica- That's a very good point! Those kids will not get to participate in the activity, they will just have to watch their peers!
    Cindy- I think that might be a good idea, but I would probably have them make their own.
    Derika- I would hope it wouldn't promote violence!! haha I'm sure there are other materials that would work, I would just have to use research and trial and error to find out.
    Kasey- I would definitely ask them higher order questions as to why the activity worked.

    ReplyDelete